[Corpora-List] Google searches as linguistic evidence

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 10:24:09 UTC 2006

>Quantitative needs to be tempered with qualitative research.

Or... the quantitative results need to be interpreted...

At 17:53 07/12/2006, Alison Duguid wrote:
>Looks like a case of  shifting or wobbly priming to me, as Michael
>Hoey has pointed  out education has a key role in  priming and the
>problem might be caused by doubt in a situation when fears about
>correctness are uppermost because shifting identities are at work.
>The questioner is really asking someone who is perceived to be a
>native speaker of a
>variety (academic/correct) in which he felt he was not a native,
>what would be the acceptable version.
>Also look how many hits you get for 'nucular', and then look again
>at the co-texts and contexts. Quantitative needs to be tempered with
>qualitative research.
>

>Geoffrey Sampson wrote:
>
>>An amazing experience I had a few years ago was being asked in all
>>seriousness by one of my part-time researchers whether "a bad egg" or
>>"an bad egg" was correct.  With another part of his time he worked for a
>>company alongside another man who had to do some documentation and
>>insisted that the correct form was "an bad egg".  So far as I could make
>>out, this other man (who, like my researcher, was as I understood it a
>>native speaker) thought he had learned a rule that "a" v. "an" depends
>>on whether the following noun begins with a vowel, and this explicit
>>rule overrode in his mind what must surely have been a large weight of
>>experience implying that it is not the following noun, but the
>>immediately-following word, that matters.  The third party was quite
>>sure that only "an bad egg" would do in writing; my researcher was
>>dubious, but felt he needed my professorial authority to contradict his
>>colleague.  This seemed to me very striking counter-evidence against the
>>idea that native speakers "know" the rules of their language.
>>Comparable misunderstandings of the a/an rule might perhaps explain
>>sporadic cases of "an w..." written by people who would surely _say_ "a
>>w..." when they were speaking spontaneously, without thinking about
>>language issues.
>>
>>Geoffrey Sampson

>>     Prof. Geoffrey Sampson  MA PhD MBCS CITP ILTM
>>
>>     author of "The 'Language Instinct' Debate"
>>
>>     Department of Informatics, University of Sussex
>>     Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, England
>>
>>     www.grsampson.net     +44 1273 678525

Ramesh Krishnamurthy

Lecturer in English Studies, School of Languages and Social Sciences,
Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
[Room NX08, North Wing of Main Building] ; Tel: +44 (0)121-204-3812 ;
Fax: +44 (0)121-204-3766
http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/staff/krishnamurthyr.jsp

Project Leader, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network): http://corpus.aston.ac.uk/