[Corpora-List] Re: Google searches as linguistic evidence

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 19:14:20 UTC 2006

>I suppose I should do 'a research' on this.

Sorry, I thought I already had: here is my posting of 8/12/06:

The Cobuild dictionary (3rd ed 2001) entry describes "research"
>as "N-UNCOUNT also N in pl",
>i.e. it is uncountable (ie not used with a/an in singular form);
>but is also used as a plural noun.
>
>Bank of English evidence:
>
>>Query is "researches/NOUN" [*Note from RK: to
>>the extent that the POS tagging is accurate...]
>>Term 1 in your query has been selected as the node
>>
>>272 matching lines
>
>>Corpus         Total Number of       Average Number per
>>                Occurrences           Million Words
>>
>>brbooks              76                  1.8/million [BRITISH BOOKS]
>>newsci               10                  1.3/million [NEW SCIENTIST]
>>strathy              19                  1.2/million [CANADIAN DATA]
>>indy                 29                  1.0/million [INDEPENDENT]
>>guard                30                  0.9/million [GUARDIAN]
>>usbooks              23                  0.7/million [USA BOOKS]
>>usacad                4                  0.6/million [USA ACADEMIC]
>>usephem               2                  0.6/million [USA EPHEMERA]
>>brmags               24                  0.5/million [BRITISH MAGAZINES]
>>brspok                9                  0.4/million [BRITISH SPOKEN]
>>times                23                  0.4/million [TIMES]
>>bbc                   8                  0.4/million [BBC WORLD SERVICE]
>>econ                  5                  0.3/million [ECONOMIST]
>>oznews                8
>>0.2/million [AUSTRALIAN REGIONAL NEWSPAPERS]
>>brephem               1                  0.2/million [BRITISH EPHEMERA]
>>wbe                   1
>>0.1/million [GLOBAL BUSINESS ENGLISH]
>>sunnow                0                  0.0/million [SUN/NEWS OF THE WORLD]
>>usspok                0                  0.0/million [USA SPOKEN]
>>npr                   0
>>0.0/million [USA NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO]
>>usnews                0
>>0.0/million [USA REGIONAL NEWSPAPERS]
>
>Of course, a lot of English texts on the Web are
>also written by non-expert English speakers,
>which will affect the distributions...
>I wonder if the proportions are the same for other languages?

[I meant by this: "I wonder to what degree
non-native Spanish on the Web affects the Google counts for
Spanish patterns of usage"]

I can also now provide some concordance lines for
the plural usage of "researches":

At 18:44 11/12/2006, James_L._Fidelholtz wrote:

>David L. Hoover escribió:
>[a bunch of interesting examinations of Google results] ...
>>"many researches" will freqeuntly be an error for "many researchers", no?
>Actually, I doubt it. In Spanish (similar facts
>in many other European languages), 'una
>investigación' *could* be the literal 'an
>investigation', but rather more often, I think,
>means 'a research project' or 'a piece of
>research'. In the latter case, the error is
>sometimes made of translating it as 'an
>investigation', which in English sounds like
>something a P.I. or the FBI (resp.
>MI-whatever-the-number-is or Scotland Yard)
>would do. But people with more experience with
>English, especially reading experience only, and
>who are aware of the fact that the example just
>given is wrong in English, will frequently make
>the error of translating the expression as 'a
>research', or 'muchas investigaciones' as 'many
>researches'. So the issue in evaluating such
>collocations is whether the writer is a native
>speaker of English. If they are, then the
>suggestion could be correct. But if they are a
>speaker of one of the other languages with a
>different division of this semantic space (as
>well as, NB, somewhat or very different usage of
>the articles), then it seems to me that this
>other explanation is rather more likely. I
>suppose I should do 'a research' on this.
>Jim
>James L. Fidelholtz
>Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
>Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla     MÉXICO

Ramesh Krishnamurthy

Lecturer in English Studies, School of Languages
and Social Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
[Room NX08, North Wing of Main Building] ; Tel:
+44 (0)121-204-3812 ; Fax: +44 (0)121-204-3766
http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/staff/krishnamurthyr.jsp

Project Leader, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network): http://corpus.aston.ac.uk/