[Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Fri Dec 15 14:59:33 UTC 2006

This next semester, I'd like to have the students in my Corpus
Linguistics class learn to use Grep tools for searching large corpora. I
know there's many great, fast Unix tools, but these students will be
using Windows machines. If possible, the program would have the
following features:

-- Fast, since they'll be working with fairly large corpora (100 million
words and more)
-- Obviously, full regular expressions capability
-- Not run under Cygwin or a similar program, but rather as a native
Windows app

I've already looked at PowerGrep, V-Grep, and TextPad, but none of these
are adequate. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **