[Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Przemek Kaszubski przemka at amu.edu.pl
Sat Dec 16 13:47:46 UTC 2006

Dear Mark,

For search plus editing (excellent when some standardisation or markup
editing is neeed), I would definitely second Ciarán's recommendation for
UltraEdit.

A freeware application with similar capabilities is NoteTabLite
(http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php).
An interesting, though older (2003), freeware search and replace
facility for you to try out may be InfoRapid Search and Replace:
http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm

Regards,

Przemek

Mark Davies wrote (2006-12-15 15:59):
> This next semester, I'd like to have the students in my Corpus
> Linguistics class learn to use Grep tools for searching large corpora. I
> know there's many great, fast Unix tools, but these students will be
> using Windows machines. If possible, the program would have the
> following features:
>
> -- Fast, since they'll be working with fairly large corpora (100 million
> words and more)
> -- Obviously, full regular expressions capability
> -- Not run under Cygwin or a similar program, but rather as a native
> Windows app
>
> I've already looked at PowerGrep, V-Grep, and TextPad, but none of these
> are adequate. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Mark Davies

> Mark Davies
> Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
> Brigham Young University
> (phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
> Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu
>
> ** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
> ** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
> ** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **

Dr Przemyslaw Kaszubski
+48 61 8293515

PICLE EAP LEARNER CORPUS ONLINE:
http://www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~przemka/picle.html

CORPUS LINGUISTICS BIBLIOGRAPHY:
http://www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~przemka

MY CORPUS LINGUISTICS SEMINARS:
http://www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~przemka/seminars.htm

EAP WRITING PAGE (IFA FULL-TIME PROGRAMME):
http://www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~przemka/IFA_writing