[Corpora-List] summary of the POS tagging learner corpora query

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 04:03:38 UTC 2006

Dear All

I submitted a query asking whether anybody has reviewed or assessed any POS
tagging to learner corpora about one week ago, and here is a brief summary
of the response.

Bertus van Rooy pointed me to the following articles:

Van Rooy, Bertus & Schäfer, Lande.  2002.  The effect of learner errors on
POS tag errors during automatic POS tagging. Southern African Linguistics
and Applied Language Studies, 20(4):325-335.

Also, at Corpus Linguistics 2003:

Van Rooy, Bertus & Schäfer, Lande.  2003.  An evaluation of three POS
taggers for the tagging of the Tswana Learner English Corpus.  In Lancaster
University Centre for Computer Corpus Research on Language Technical Papers
16: 835-844. (Proceedings of the Corpus Linguistics 2003 Conference, edited
by Dawn Archer, Paul Rayson, Andrew Wilson & Tony McEnery.)

Paul Rayson and Sylviane Granger also reminded me of the paper on the Corpus
Linguistics 2003 Conference at the same time.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to them and others who have shown
interest in this issue. (For those who wish to read the conference paper but
could not find one copy, please let me know.)

All the best

Xiaotian Guo

 PhD Candidate
The Department of English