[Corpora-List] Cocopa frequency of phonemic occurrence

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.cis.ru
Thu Feb 23 13:27:09 UTC 2006

Dear Corpora colleagues, I am feeding into my computer Cocopa Indian Texts by James M. Crawford (University of California Press, 1983). I wonder if James M. Crawford or his colleagues could tell me how to pronounce "c" like in the word "capay". Does it sound like "ch" in English? I wonder  if Cocopa is a language with the low use of the labial consonants since there are only 3 labials in it: "p, m, w". However, it may be, that in the speech sound chain the use of Cocopa labials is high. Do you know any publications on the use, i.e. frequency of occurrence of Cocopa phonemes in its speech sound chain? I wish I could get in touch who deal with Cocopa now. I'd like to compare the frequency of occurrence of Cocopa phonemes with those in the 167 languages that I computed.  Looking forward to hearing from you to yutamb at mail.ru  Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia