[Corpora-List] the occurrence of labial consonants in American Indian languages

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.cis.ru
Tue Jan 31 14:07:13 UTC 2006

Dear Corpora colleagues, I have computed the sentences from the works of Richard Rhodes of the University of Michigan  (Some aspect of Ojibwa discourse; Metaphor and extention in Ojibwa; Eastern Ojibwa-Chippewa-Ottawa Dictionary). The results of the calculating of the frequency of occurrence of the Ojibwa labial consonants in the speech sound chain show a great value = 17.14%. Actually, it is more than in the other American Indian languages that I calculated.In fact, it is much greater than in the other American INdian languages which I computed. Compare the frequency of occurrences of labial consonants in percent to all the phonemes in the speech chain:
1. Iquito 4.83%

2. Piratapuyo 6.56%

3. Mam 7.33%

4. Totonac 7.38%

5. Kadiweu 7.74%

6. Capanahua 8.04%

7. Quawasquar 9.05%

8. Secoya 9.29%

9. Inga 9.89%

10. Cofan 10.02%

11. Pocomchi 10.83%

12. Quechua 11.40%

13. Nahuatl 11.73%

14. Siriano 11.18%

15. Sayula popoluca 12.34%

16. Kajwa 12.75%

17. Guarani 12.92%

18. Guambiano 14.50%

19. Sweet Grass Cree 15.15%

20. Ojibwa 17.14%

21. Apinaye 17.40%

  I wonder if you could share your ideas and comments about the use of labial consonants in these American Indian languages. I guess it may be interesting for some linguistic journal. Could you advise me where I can send my article on the use of labials? Could you please send me the e-mail addresses of the editors of these journals? Looking forward to heaing from you soon to my new email addtess yutamb at mail.ru  Remain yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk Pedagogical University, Novosibirsk, Russia