[Corpora-List] Encoding of apostrophes and quotes

E Tonkin et207 at ukoln.ac.uk
Tue Jul 4 19:20:43 UTC 2006

The same effect exists in German, particularly in genitive (the example
given in Wikipedia is 'Peter's Pilsbar' instead of 'Peters Pilsbar'), and
in plurals. Wikipedia refers to it as 'Apostrophitis'.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophitis

The page goes on to say that this misuse is nothing new, as, especially in
the case of the genitive, it was common in the 19th century and remained
visible throughout the 20th, despite having been abolished in the spelling
reform of 1901. In the 1996 spelling reform, the use of apostrophes was
again addressed: now, apostrophes may be used where clarification is
required - eg: Carlo's Tavern needs one, to distinguish between 'Carlos'
or 'Carlo').

Throughout this drama, people have been ordering Beck's Bier with fine
disregard of any neue deutsche Rechtschreibung!

Of some relevance to this discussion, though I don't know how accurate it
is, is the note on Wikipedia suggesting that a common side-effect of
Apostrophitis is the use of a diacritical mark in place of the apostrophe
itself.

Emma Tonkin, Interoperability Focus Officer, UKOLN