[Corpora-List] Encoding of apostrophes and ... CLEANEVAL ADVANCED WARNING

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Wed Jul 5 16:12:56 UTC 2006

                     ADVANCE WARNING: CLEANEVAL

We agree fully with John Sowa's and others' comments about the difficulty
of getting to a good "plain text" from an arbitrary web page.

Moreover, we believe it is critical to progress in NLP.  On this list, we
don't need to rehearse the argument that more data gives better results.
The obvious place to go for 'more data' is usually the web.  But if the web
text is dirty, everything suffers.  So, we need to get good at cleaning
web text.

Under the auspices of SIGWAC (ACL SIG on Web as Corpus) we are planning a
shared task / competitive evaluation on text cleaning - CLEANEVAL.

We are planning to work on English and Chinese.  If others are interested
in contributing, particularly by organising a task for some other language,
and/or find these questions provocative:

     1. what tools do you need to convert a terabyte of data for
        language X into a BNC?
     2. how do we know when we have succeeded?

then do join the brand new cleaneval mailing list

	CLEANEVAL Co-Ordinators
		Marco Baroni
		Adam Kilgarriff
		Serge Sharoff