[Corpora-List] ANC, FROWN, Fuzzy Logic

Ruvan Weerasinghe arw at ucsc.cmb.ac.lk
Thu Jul 27 02:47:08 UTC 2006

a fascinating discussion on a list one would least expect! i've been a
'lurker' on this list for a while (and to be sure got lots of useful
pointers on corpus linguistics) but it is nice to know that there are
folks who are not 'mere engineers' on it (come to think of it, its
strange to expect engineers on a corpora list - but the reality is that
more and more of the general area of computational linguistics tends to
be focused on gaining that extra percentage of accuracy in performance -
thanks to all those metrics and evaluations!).

i guess my own understanding follows most closely to marks ideas...
unfortunately i am not so articulate to put it in quite the way he has.
fundamentally, i too see a distinction between the practice of science
and the search for truth at least in the modern context (that is not to
say that scientists of old may not have developed the methodology with a
view to 'seeking for truth' - which in some cases seems to have been the
main purpose).

ruvan.

ps: thanks to all for inspiring me to come out of the woodwork!