[Corpora-List] Re: ANC, FROWN, Fuzzy Logic

FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE jfidel at siu.buap.mx
Fri Jul 28 15:19:30 UTC 2006

Ya gotta love it: somebody who knows that theories can't be proven!
(Personally, I admit that there *could* be a correct theory, but of course
we would never be able to prove it is true -- good candidates might be
theories that last a long time without being disproven; still, Newton's
lasted well over a century completely accepted, only to bump into Einstein's
'better' theory, which has also undergone modifications ....) I guess good
scientists are those who do their best to disprove their own (and others')
theories, in the hope that, if they can't, they can at least be honest and
up-front about the data their theory does *not* handle, in the further hope
that someone else will be able to tweak, modify or change the theory in a
way that *will* handle those data (or some of them).

Jim

Nicholas Sanders escribió:

> Whilst I do realise that some treat theories as belief systems, they
> should not - espouse a theory, never believe it. As for the notion of
> correct theories - since they can only be *disproved*, twice never!!
> Nicholas J A Sanders
> semiotek
>
> T: +44 [0]7092 153 409
> nick at semiotek.org

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje, ICSyH
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla     MÉXICO