[Corpora-List] Conceptual Literacy

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jun 2 21:28:01 UTC 2006

Dear Corpora Listers,

I have received a small grant to help with text/clustering analysis
of the 50,000 entries in the Wordsmyth Educational dictionary. The
outcome would be clusters of semantically related words, which a
lexicographer could then take the last step toward an analysis of
lexical-semantic relations. Does anyone  have recommendations to make
on how to approach the task?  Someone mentioned to me Jean Veronis's
"Hyperlex" paper.

I eventually intend to investigate the conceptual dependencies that
occur in literacy and early learning - for example, the relation
between the concept of "corner" in ordinary language, and "angle", in
both math and ordinary language ("What's the reporter's angle on the
story?"). My interest is in what I am calling "conceptual literacy" -
the growing awareness of the relation between terms and concepts,
that is required in order to manage relations in multiple communities
of practice with different conceptual systems linked with shared
vocabularies.

Thanks for whatever advice/assistance is available.

Bob