[Corpora-List] Google Books, copyrights, and corpora

Jean-Phi jpprost at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 03:56:32 UTC 2006

I'm not a legal expert, but if Google loses the case and is prevented
from displaying, for free, a snippet of a few sentences from a
copyrighted book, then I wonder about the consequences on things like
simply citing a book's paragraph: what's the difference between a
Google's snippet, and the paragraph I cite in my paper, in my book, on
on my web site, to refer truthfully to the original author's words?
Will I be expected to pay copyright fees for every citation?
Obviously the amount of data we are talking about is on a different
scale in the case of Google, but if the snippet view in itself is the
target rather than the "mass citation", then I don't really see a
difference between the two situations.

Best.

--
 Jean-Philippe Prost