[Corpora-List] help with WS concordance search by syntax

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 15 11:41:40 UTC 2006

Dear friends, colleagues and list members,

  I once again need your  expertise.

  I am using the BNC and Wordsmith (as many of probably know by now).  I want to find instances of : Proper Name of Place (e.g. Linda Bawcom of Houston). At first I just tried (after finding an example in a text)<w NP0>* to get a frequency on proper names, but (eventually) got a slip stream error, so (in desperation) I tried  for 'of' and also got (eventually) another slip stream error.  So lastly I tried <w NP0>* [and] of  (to avoid the slip stream problem) and and got no examples. I leave a space between the *  and [and] and then another space before 'of'.  Is it possible that there are actually no instances?  Or can those of you who are experts searching by tag tell me what I'm doing wrong?

  Kindest regards,
  Linda

      "Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind." John Donne