[Corpora-List] help with WS concordance search by syntax

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Fri Jun 16 13:04:01 UTC 2006

Hi Linda,

You may need to use WordSmith, but in case you can consider another option, there are at least three possibilities:

1) Use Bill Fletcher's Phrase in English site (pie.usna.edu) and search for << np0 np0 of np0 >> . It's fast and you can link to KWIC entries, but it will only display those that occur three times or more in the BNC (173 / 4211 types, or about 4% of all types)

2) Use the VIEW interface to the BNC (http://view.byu.edu) and search for << [np0] of [np0] >> and then click on the entries that look like they might have another [np0] before the first [np0]. Queries with four sequential high frequency "words" are disallowed via the interface, for reasons of server load. Sorry.

3) I just ran the query directly against the BNC/VIEW database (server load doesn't matter if it's me doing the query :-), and found all cases of [np0] [np0] of [np0]. I've placed a file with all matching strings at: http://view.byu.edu/download/np0_np0_of_np0.txt.

Perhaps one of these will help you.

Best,

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Assoc. Prof., Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **