[Corpora-List] Suggestions for textbook for Intro to Language/Linguistics

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 27 19:31:40 UTC 2006

Dear friends, collegues and  list members,

First, my apologies for using the forum for this question, but  I  was wondering if anyone could recommend a good intro to language/linguistics textbook as I'm going to be teaching a course entitled Introduction to Language for the first time at the University of Houston-Downtown.

The course description states: An introduction to linguistics sciences. The course gives an overview of language; it's use and development. Basic concepts covered are approaches to grammatical description, history, acquisition and social and regional variation.

 I have run across the following two books which seem promising:

1)Language Files from the Department of Linguistics at Ohio State.
2)An Introduction to Language and Linguistics by Fasold and Conner-Linton.

Has anyone used these textbooks, or is  anyone using one which he or she has found interesting and fairly easy for students with no prior knowledge in this area? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not particularly concerned with whether or not it is American in origin (although perhaps I should be?), shipping, however, is a concern, as classes begin th 21st of August.

Kindest regards,
Linda Bawcom