[Corpora-List] Encoding of apostrophes and quotes

Thierry Fontenelle thierryf at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 30 18:15:36 UTC 2006

I fully agree with Lou that elision is by no means the only use of the apostrophe. It's also used in Irish names like "O'Connors", "O'Hara"... Cases like "rock 'n roll" are also interesting... In French, it's indeed sometimes a marker of an elision ("l'école"), but it's also sometimes part of the token ("aujourd'hui", "prud'homme"...). We've even noticed that some people were using it to replace accents when they don't have a French keyboard (especially in instant messages: Ren'e instead of René). The decision to treat apostrophes as breaking or non-breaking characters has interesting implications for tools like spell-checkers (the same is true of hyphens, of course) and, like Marco Baroni yesterday, I'm glad to see that these crucial issues are discussed here and taken seriously... I wrote something about that on our blog a few months ago, for those of you who are interested...

http://blogs.msdn.com/correcteurorthographiqueoffice/archive/2005/12/07/500807.aspx

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle

Microsoft Speech & Natural Language

> 2. An apostrophe is generally used to indicate elision or (in English)

> possession:

> don't, 'tis, sayin', John's, James', c'est, geht's.

This is true, in English, certainly. But by no means the only use.

Consider the (infamous) use of the apostrophe to indicate plurals for example ("PC's") or its use in French to indicate something about pronunciation ("pin's") or its use in Italian to double up for an accent ("Forli'").