[Corpora-List] Newspaper article corpora

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Wed May 10 22:09:15 UTC 2006

> Does anyone know of corpora devoted to English language
> newspaper articles (possibly available online)?  I saw that
> Reuters has developed one, but there are a few hurdles to
> navigate in order to access it.

The BNC has about 10-11 million words from newspapers, and is available
as part of the VIEW site (http://view.byu.edu).

This site also allows you to search just one part of the 100 million
word corpus (i.e. just the newspapers), so this may be a useful feature
for you. Finally, you can even zero in on just sub-registers of
newspapers (broadsheet, tabloid, sports reporting, etc).

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Assoc. Prof., Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **