[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computational linguistics

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Fri Aug 3 02:07:34 UTC 2007

I see where you are coming from with this Chris. You are thinking of "one
grammar" as the range of predictive features used to learn a model. I hadn't
thought of it like that. In that sense people in this area are quite
flexible, I agree. I recall a presentation by... Eric Brill(?) for SIGDial,
at the ACL in HK a few years back, where he cast a very wide net of features
and tried to sift out some (any?) with the predictive properties he was
looking for.

But I'm afraid even this fits my definition of "one grammar", yes. Because
for all of this kind of work, while they might have cast a very wide net of
features, their goals have been the same. The goal of all the work I have
seen has been to learn a model, one model, singular, complete, and
explaining/predicting all the structure of a given language in one go.

I don't think the features matter a whole lot. We may find we need to refine
them a bit to get the last drop. Probably to get everything you need to go
right into social relations, and details of biology and all, as the
embodiment guys in functional and cognitive schools claim.

But I don't think the problem has been features. I think the problem is in
the goal of a single complete generalization over those features.

Where is the work which drops the assumption of a single complete and
consistent generalization over a set of features?

The adaptor grammar stuff looks interesting. They seem to be saying reduce
your initial assumption of a fixed global model and allow your model to
change. That could be good. But it is quite limited. Just an easier way to
get existing Bayesian models.

At any given moment they require their model to be globally complete and
consistent.

Discontinuous change in particular would surely be quite hard to do like
this: flipping from one perspective to another. Even if the posterior
distribution, and not context, were the appropriate parameter of change.

>>From my point of view stochastic models are only necessary at all because we
insist on global consistency. We try to fit "black" = "strong" and "black"
!= "strong" into the same model, and the result is random. If we relax the
condition of global consistency our model will be perfectly deterministic
(though incomplete, in any given instance.)

Where is the work which looks at it this way?

-Rob