[Corpora-List] The Preposition Project: Completion of Phase I

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Sun Aug 26 22:27:26 UTC 2007

The first phase of The Preposition Project (TPP) has now been completed.
Each of 673 preposition senses for 334 English prepositions (including
phrasal prepositions) has now been characterized with a variety of
information. For the 56 most common, single-word prepositions, this
characterization has made use of FrameNet instances.

Please visit the project's main web site at:
	http://www.clres.com/prepositions.html
The Online TPP, containing the full database for easy browsing, as well
as a link allowing a download of an XML file containing the full
database, is at:
	http://www.clres.com/cgi-bin/onlineTPP/find_prep.cgi

A notable extension of TPP, with the completion of Phase I, is the
development of an initial preposition taxonomy.

TPP wishes to thank Oxford University Press for permission to make the
definitions of their prepositions (from the Oxford Dictionary of
English) publicly available.

TPP is ongoing, with continued research into the nature of the
preposition taxonomy, into the status of preposition senses as arguments
or adjuncts, into the possible integration of TPP data into FrameNet,
and into features relevant to the disambiguation of preposition senses.

We invite comments and suggestions for improving the TPP data and its
use in NLP applications.

	Ken Litkowski
	Orin Hargraves
--
Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Home Page: http://www.clres.com