[Corpora-List] Linguistic Tree Constructor

Alexandre Rafalovitch arafalov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:15:50 UTC 2007

On 8/29/07, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Hanane wrote:
> > My data is a word file but i didn't succeed in opening it through ltc
> > how can i change the extention of a .doc file to .txt or .gen file? and
> > does it help if i put my file under a format other than word?
>
> I don't know anything about ltc, but I can't imagine any program other
> than Word being able to read a Word doc file.  (Or any comp ling program
> being able to read any other word processing file, for that matter.)

MSWord can save things into various formats. OpenOffice can open and
convert MSWord file in several more formats. There is a Java toolkit
to read the MSWord file, though it is still at a very early stage:
http://poi.apache.org/hwpf/index.html.

But in general, AFAIK, nothing will read MSWord format directly and do
something useful with it. It is just too complex.

Regards,
   Alex.