[Corpora-List] No poverty of the stimulus

P Resnik psresnik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:58:19 UTC 2007

Rich, thank you for posting this pointer!  I have not yet had a chance to
read the paper, but on a quick scan, I notice that they do not reference

Shyam Kapur, "Computational Learning of Languages",  Cornell dissertation,
1991.  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=866568 .  Postscript and PDF
available at http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/7074.

I suspect that anyone interested in the Chater and Vitanyi paper will also
find this of interest, particularly the results of Chapter 5, where
Kapurwrites, "... in accordance to a suggestion due to Gold (1967),
maybe we can
learn more families if we insist on convergence on most (instead of all)
texts [i.e. sequences of sentences presented as positive examples to the
learner -PSR]".  His work shows that with this convergence criterion, it is
possible to obtain "a uniform learning algorithm that works for *every *family
of languages" [my emphasis], subject to stochastic assumptions about the
input that, if I understood/recall correctly, avoid problems with the sorts
of pathological texts the Gold's proof relied on.

Happy holidays,

  Philip
`