[Corpora-List] Look for a lemma list

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:48:34 UTC 2007

Hi, Fangzhong

I encountered the same problem when I needed to compile a verb lemma list
for a learner corpus study in my PhD. I am afraid you need to do some manual
work to include in your ready-made lemma list what is needed such as both
American and British spellings, if there is no better lemma list available.

Yasumasa Someya's lemma list is not without problems. You need to check and
correct some of the potential problems to cater for your own needs. One
problem with Someya's lemma list is that verbs and nouns are mixed. If you
need to sort this problem out, you might like to use the sorting function of
MS Excel to distinguish nouns from verbs because the base form of a verb has
more inflections than a singular noun.

If you cannot get a better revised or edited lemma list, Someya's lemma list
can still serve as a base for you to build on.

Dr. Xiaotian Guo

PhD in Corpus Linguistics (*looking for a job*)
The Department of English
The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK