Fwd: [Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Emrah ozcanemrah at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 08:08:01 UTC 2007

The thing Markus stated is another way of having multiple OSs in one
computer, but the hosting computer should have some optimal hardware (RAM in
this case) in order to run at least two OSs.
If your hardware is *powerful* then WMWARE is the solution, but if not it's
better to resize your partition. In short, there is always a way to get what
you want! :))

Happy new year by the way!

On 1/2/07, Markus Heller <markus at relix.de> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> > > Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but where if not at university would
> > > students be able to learn about Unix?  I am stunned that anybody can
> > > get any serious work done in text processing *without* the multitude
> > > of useful Unix commands.  From a pedagogic point of view I'd say that
> > > it would be the best solution to gently introduce the students to the
> > > idea that there are other operating systems besides Windows, and they
> > > might even be more suitable for academic work.  With the free
> > > availability of Linux on live-CDs there is no real excuse anymore...
> >
> > I totally agree with Oliver...
>
> I have seen that the mechanical engineering department of TUM (Technische
> Universität München) distributes VMWARE images which contain all the
> applications which are needed in the classes.
>
> This is an interesting way to ensure that the students will be able to use
> the
> according engineering apps, independent of their operating systems they
> have
> installed at home. They can simply start the - in this case - linux
> instance
> without being required to go through the difficult process of resizing the
> windows partition, creating a new partition, installing linux there and
> getting a boot manager to run... :-)
>
> Best wishes for a new year to all of you!
>
> Markus

EMRAH ÖZCAN ( Y.L.)
Araş. Gör.

Yıldız Teknik Üniversitesi
Eğitim Fakültesi                     posta: eozcan {at} yildiz.edu.tr
Yabancı Diller Eğitimi Böl.       telefon: +90 212 449 1616
Davutpaşa Yerleşkesi             ağ sayfası:
http://www.dil.yildiz.edu.tr/emrah
Esenler / İstanbul
Türkiye