[Corpora-List] history of corpus linguistics

Geoffrey Williams geoffrey.williams at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 6 08:28:31 UTC 2007

As far as I know there is no complete and unexpurgated history as yet, b
ut I very good background is given from in Graeme Kennedy's introduction
to corpus linguistics. I recently wrote an explanation of the origins
contextualist corpus linguistics for a French audience, who often seem
to confuse corpus linguistics and NLP, and also literary analysis with
quantitive methods. In looking for information John Sinclair pointed me
in the direction of a very interesting article by Léon (2005) which
kicks into touch the boring litany of Chomskyan influence on linguistics
this side of the pond. Given that John was a prime mover in the
development of corpus studies in the UK, the interview of with Wolfgang
Teubert in the introduction the recent republication of the OSTI report
by Ramesh Krishnamurthy (Sinclair et al 2004) is worth reading, as is
the report itself as it is a good lesson in humility with so much done
to lay the foundations of current methodology. Another source in the
same ilk is Sampson and McCarthy (2004) as this has texts from the pre
computer period as well as some foundational texts that are no longer
easily available.

Hope this helps

Best

Geoffrey

*Kennedy G.*1998. /An introduction to corpus linguistics./ London & New
York: Longman

*Léon, J*. 2005. ‘Claimed and unclaimed sources of /Corpus
Linguistics’/. /Henry Sweet Society Bulletin/. N°44. pp.36-50.

*G. Sampson and D. McCarthy (eds). */Corpus Linguistics: Readings// in a
widening discipline/. London and New York: Continuum, 2004

*Sinclair J. McH., Jones S., Daley R.* 2004. /English Collocation
Studies: The OSTI Report/. Londres - New York : Continuum.

Geoffrey Williams
Professeur des Universités en Sciences du Langage
Université de Bretagne Sud, Lorient, France
geoffrey.williams at univ-ubs.fr