[Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Tue Jan 9 18:12:22 UTC 2007

Mark,

Another option is to accept that the command line is an alien concept to
anyone who is not a registered geek, and to teach regexps in a corpus query
tool.

I have a couple of beginner exercises at
http://www.lexmasterclass.com/exercises/regex/index.html , which are always
fun to teach - faces get overwhelmed by looks of intense concentration and
you can hear the brain-cogs grinding.

Not sure if your tool does full perl regexps-  Sketch Engine does, and we'd
be happy to load your corpora.  Large corpora are already loaded for quite a
few languages, more languages to follow, plus facilities to upload and
install your own corpora (large or small) on our server, plus WebBootCaT for
instant web corpora.  See http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>  (self-registration for free trial account)

Not really what you were looking for, but maybe an interesting alternative,

Adam

Mark Davies wrote:

This next semester, I'd like to have the students in my Corpus

Linguistics class learn to use Grep tools for searching large corpora. I

know there's many great, fast Unix tools, but these students will be

using Windows machines. If possible, the program would have the

following features:

-- Fast, since they'll be working with fairly large corpora (100 million

words and more)

-- Obviously, full regular expressions capability

-- Not run under Cygwin or a similar program, but rather as a native

Windows app

I've already looked at PowerGrep, V-Grep, and TextPad, but none of these

are adequate. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies

Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics

Brigham Young University

(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **

** Historical linguistics // Language variation **

** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **

Martin Wynne

Head of the Oxford Text Archive and

AHDS Literature, Languages and Linguistics

Oxford University Computing Services

13 Banbury Road

Oxford

UK - OX2 6NN