[Corpora-List] english parser

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 11:27:52 UTC 2007

For a practical comparison of a range of English parsers, see
Sutcliffe R et al, Industrial Parsing of Software Manuals. Rodopi. 1996

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Parsing-Software-Language-Computers/dp/904200102X/sr=8-2/qid=1168946089/ref=sr_1_2/202-4742685-7046268?ie=UTF8&s=books

... but before you buy, check the review in Computational Linguistics
journal by John Carroll:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=972793&jmp=references&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE,ACM&CFID=15151515&CFTOKEN=6184618#references

This book is nearly 10 years old, but still a useful overview of a
number of English parsers "side by side", compared in tests with a
common corpus of sentences to parse. It's particularly useful to help
you decide what form of output is best suited to your specific needs -
different parsers produce quite different sorts of "parse trees".
Once you've chosen the output parse-tree format that suits you, you
can easily find the latest version of the parser via WWW / Google.
For example, the book includes a chapter by Atro Voutilainen on an early
version of the Connexor parser; if you like it, follow his URL to the
current version!

Another useful source of English parser info is
http://www.alias-i.com/lingpipe/web/competition.html

- LingPipe is a free-to-use toolkit of NLP tools, including parser;
the LingPipe people have put together a webpage listing the
"competition", rival NLP toolkits, many of whcih also include parsers.
You should take some time to browse through this web-page (and linked
pages) to decide whcih tool-parser is best suited to your individual
needs, there isnt really a "one-fit-for-all" single best parser.

I hope this helps... (even though I'm sitting on the fence)

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

--
Eric Atwell,
Senior Lecturer, Language research group leader, School of Computing,