[Corpora-List] free parser for english

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jan 16 15:44:53 UTC 2007

> I need exactly a free parser for english in java that generates as output
> syntactic tree (with semantic dependency relations) of the sentence
> introduced as input. best regards;
Then I'd recommend the dependency parser made by Ryan McDonald, which can be
freely downloaded from
http://ryanmcd.googlepages.com/MSTParser.html
It's written in Java, generates dependency relations and the code is
reasonably easy to understand.

The dependencies you get from any parser are usually syntactically rather than
semantically motivated, but you can usually get away with that.
(shameless plug: a colleague and I have written a paper on this latter topic
which you can read online at http://www.versley.de/versley-zinsmeister.pdf ).

Best,
Yannick Versley
--
Yannick Versley
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft, Abt. Computerlinguistik