[Corpora-List] Downloadable English-language resources

Gordana Ilic Holen g.i.holen at ilos.uio.no
Mon Jan 29 08:12:42 UTC 2007

Dear list members,

We are looking for software/data that help in performing the following
task programmatically, i.e., we want to use the described capability
form a piece of software we are writing.

The task is to look up an English word in order to determine its
class.

We would also like to be informed if the word is a derived form of
another "main entry" or form.  In the latter case we would like to be
told what the main form is: e.g., "children" has main form "child",
"ran" has main form "run".  (Of course, these main form need not be
unique, so the look up might result in several main forms.)

Note: it is essential that lookup can be performed locally (offline).
The reason is that we want to lookup a lot of words.  (The
software/data does not need to be free, but we would prefer it to be.)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Gordana Ilic Holen and Bjarte M. Østvold