[Corpora-List] User Interface Design for Manual Annotation of Corpora

Hong Huaqing huaqing at i2r.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Jun 8 02:46:52 UTC 2007

Dear Marc,

I would like to recommend MMAX2, one of the best annual annotation tools I've ever used. It was extensively used in annotating IRE/F structures, coreferences, speech act, cohesive devices etc. in various projects. For a recent application, you may want to have a look at SCoRE corpus project of classroom discourse at: http://score.crpp.nie.edu.sg/. For the sample annotation results, please try the Discourse Query section.

For your information, here is the list of pros and cons of MMAX2:

Pros:
A cross-platform application
Stand-off annotation
Arbitrarily many levels of annotation
Graphical rendering of relations between markables
User-definable & attribute-dependent visualization
XML output
Unicode support

Cons:
Only work with plain text
Manual scheme design
Input files preparation
Annotation checking
Query console

To improve its performance, we've developed some utilities/plugins used for our own projects (e.g. scheme designer, input file converter, result checker, and query package).  Surely you can also do so if needed.

MMAX2 is available at:
http://www.eml-research.de/english/research/nlp/download/mmax.php

Best,

Huaqing Hong