[Corpora-List] English Grammar Checker

CARLOS EDUARDO DANTAS DE MENEZES cedmenezes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:11:11 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I'm a developer of CoGrOO, a Grammar Checker to OpenOffice. Nowadays, we
have a Brazilian-Portuguese checker.
This is our site of CoGrOO 1.X (English and Portuguese text):

http://cogroo.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal

This is our site of CoGrOO 2.X (only Portuguese text, sorry):

http://cogroo.sourceforge.net/

Statistics about project activity:

http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/?group_id=182075&ugn=cogroo

A paper about CoGrOO's architecture (English):

http://cogroo.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal/down/Doc/LREC_2006.pdf

I'm writing to this list because we are porting CoGrOO to English language;
there is no really GOOD, free software, grammar checker to English language,
and CoGrOO intends to supply this need.
We need a help of linguists to:
- Help us to  define what is the public target of this tool: foreigner or
native speakers? Maybe both?
- Estimate top-100 mistakes of this public target.
- Write simple rules, according to our templates, to detect the most of
these mistakes.
- Test rules in our prototype.
- Refine rules.

Please, who is interested to help this project, contact me.

Regards,

Carlos Menezes