[Corpora-List] New online search interface for MICASE

Annelie Adel aadel at umich.edu
Fri Jun 15 02:08:31 UTC 2007

Dear All,

The Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE) is a
1.8-million-word corpus of transcripts from a range of different speech
events recorded at the University of Michigan. Since May 2002, the
English Language Institute at the University of Michigan has made the
corpus available online through a search interface that some of you may
be familiar with already. We are now launching a new online search
interface due to issues of technical obsolescence.

New MICASE online has some improved functionality. For example, the new
search interface provides simple descriptive statistics for each search
term, and the search results can be downloaded to the user's own
computer. The downloadable information includes metadata (such as the
name of the transcript, the speaker's academic role and gender) in a
tab-delimited format that can be further examined using a program like
Microsoft Excel.

To explore MICASE online, simply go to http://micase.umdl.umich.edu
(this is the same URL as before).

We have also updated the MICASE Manual, which is available on our
website at http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/index.htm (under "About
MICASE"). The chapter on MICASE online has been updated, with the
changes described in more detail.

I should also mention that, for users who wish to access the corpus data
through other means, the corpus transcripts are available in XML format
for a small fee. The sound files are also available for purchase
(although some of them are freely accessible online for listening at
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/Audio/index.htm).

Happy searching!
Annelie

Dr. Annelie Ädel