[Corpora-List] Intercoder agreement

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu May 10 16:30:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

Rebecca Passonneau proposed (in a 1997 paper) a kappa statistic based on the
model-theoretic scoring scheme of Vilain et al., which I think would be
useful for this kind of thing. In this case, you have 2 'links' shared
(1-2,2-3), one only for coder A (3-4) and one that no one wants (4-5),
with marginals of 3/4 links for A, and 2/4 links for B.
Expected agreement would be 0.5 (2/4*3/4+2/4*1/4), observed agreement would be
0.75 (2/4+1/4), which gives kappa=(0.75-0.5)/(1-0.5)=0.5.
Vilain et al's counting scheme gives you these 'link' counts for more
contrived groupings.

Best,
Yannick

--
Yannick Versley
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft, Abt. Computerlinguistik