[Corpora-List] threshold for hapax legomena

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri May 25 07:54:21 UTC 2007

I like the deifinition given in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapax_legomena

"A hapax legomenon (pl. hapax legomena, though sometimes called hapaxes
for short) is a word which occurs only once in the written record of a
language, in the works of an author, or in a single text. If a word is
used twice it is a dis legomenon, thrice, a tris legomenon. Beyond
tetrakis legomenon (four times), a word is not rare enough to note."

So words with "below 10 occurrences" may not be "important/worthwhile"
but they are not hapax legomena.

Furthermore, I don't see how there can be a single statistical metric
whcvih tells you whether a cut-off of 10 (or other cut-off) is sensible
regardless of application.  For some applications, you clearly only want
medium-to-high-frequency words (eg comparing national varieties of
Englishes); for others you may want to include even very rare words
(eg building a comprehensive lexicon for a PoS-tagger)

Eric Atwell, University of Leeds