[Corpora-List] amount of text on the web?

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Tue Nov 13 18:52:28 UTC 2007

Drago,

If we are talking about text, isn't it better to count in words than bytes.
(How do you count texts in scanned images?  We don't really want to say that
500 words of a scanned image count for 1000 times as much as 500 words of
ASCII.)

Then, we can refer to Google basing Web1T on 10^12 words of English.  Of
course that is only what Google finds, not what is there, and it is only
English.  But they will have taken tasks like distinguishing text from
non-text, and deduplication, seriously, which must be a good thing if the
question is asked from a linguistic or NLP perspective.

While the Berkeley reference is clearly a key one, I was surprised simply at
the extent to which it showed up more questions than answers.  If that's the
best guess (at least in 2003) at how much is out there, our collective level
of ignorance really is stunning.  (Though I can't help thinking that the big
guys - Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, IBM - will have better answers that they
don't publish)

Adam