[Corpora-List] Evaluating Sentence Aligners

Ruprecht von Waldenfels Rvwfels at gmx.de
Fri Nov 23 09:28:34 UTC 2007

Dear Mike,
from my experiments, I got very strange results if only one side was lemmatized/stemmed, i.e., in some cases, alignment quality improved, in others, it degraded.

A clear result, however, was that lemmatization helps alignment, at least with the aligners I tested, that is, bsa and hunalign; the latter proved more stable when presented with a text that was abridged.

I think choosing aligners and whether or not to lemmatize depends on the task and the languages involved; some aligners need linguistic resources that might not be easily available. Also, if you can afford to throw away those parts that were aligned with low certainty, the picture changes again.