[Corpora-List] syntactico-semantic similarities measures

Dominic Widdows widdows at google.com
Mon Nov 26 15:10:38 UTC 2007

Dear Samira,

There is a certain amount on measuring similarity and distance in a
graph derived from lexicosyntactic patterns in Beate Dorow's
dissertation (see
http://elib.uni-stuttgart.de/opus/frontdoor.php?la=en&source_opus=2985)
and in Chapter 4 of "Geometry and Meaning" (see
http://infomap.stanford.edu/book/chapters/chapter4.html and related
references at the bottom).

There are many ways you could consider trying to derive semantic
similarity measures from syntactic analysis - the syntactic component
in the work described above was deliberately shallow, since the simple
patterns used turned out to be effective enough to make analyzing the
resulting mathematical model a rewarding project.

Let me know if you want more information about this avenue, I'll be
happy to answer questions about how it worked (and sometimes didn't
work).
Best wishes,
Dominic