[Corpora-List] My request for info

Dr David John Hatch drdjhatch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:25:37 UTC 2007

Hi everyone

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my request, and for all the
info provided.

Currently I only have sporadic internet connection, otherwise I would reply
personally to each of you. So apologies and thanks.

For various reasons I missed a lot of what was discussed during the summer,
but would like to put in a very late halfpeneth (sp?) re the 'complete
grammar' discussion. The perspective I've been using is that of linguistic
change. I've been looking ­ in a very amateurish way at the change from [I
was] 'impressed by' to 'impressed with' ­ partly via corpora searches. As I
don't know how to date utterances in the BNC I found its data to offer just
some evidence of the change.

Perhaps others have looked into this/similar questions. Or perhaps this
could fit into a doc. Thesis.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

David Hatch