[Corpora-List] corpora and minimalism: summary

Marco Baroni marco.baroni at unitn.it
Wed Apr 2 07:33:05 UTC 2008

Dear corpora-lists,

A while ago, I asked for bibliographical pointers to corpus-based
research within the minimalist/recent-Chomskyan framework.

I paste below the replies I got (most references, as pointed out by
the message posters, are rather from a broad "generative" paradigm
than strictly minimalist/cartographic, etc.)

Thanks again to those who replied.

Regards,

Marco

***************************
***************************

Rita Calabrese:

Dear Marco,
here are some titles concerning corpus-based studies in a generative
framework (note that these studies are concerned with SLA research):

R. Calabrese-N. Gagliardi, Transfer linguistico e Grammatica Universale.
Interlingue a confronto (con Nicoletta Gagliardi), in N. Gagliardi (a cura
di), Didattiche Multimediali per l’Insegnamento del Tedesco, Mephite,
Avellino, 2005.
R. Calabrese, The Lexicon-Syntax Interface in the Acquisition of
English as
a Foreign Language. A corpus-based analysis, in Atti del VI Congresso
Internazionale AItLA,Perugia: Guerra Edizioni, 2007.
R. Calabrese, Insights into the Lexicon-Syntax Interface in Italian
Learners’ English. A Generative Framework for a Corpus-Based Analysis.
(PhD
thesis submitted for publication)
Best wishes
Rita

P.S. Sorry for self-referencing :-I

***************************
***************************

Antti Arppe:

Marco,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, corpora-request at uib.no wrote:
> > From: Marco Baroni <marco.baroni_AT_unitn.it>
> > Subject: [Corpora-List] bibliographic request: corpora in
"mainstream"

> > Is anybody on the list aware of studies that used corpus-based
> > evidence while adopting, as theoretical framework, what I will call,
> > for lack of a better name, the "mainstream Chomskyan tradition"
> > (Chomsky's minimalism, Cinque's cartographic approoach, etc.)?

Well, if you understand generativism in general as Chomskyan, maybe
some of the studies presented in the proceedings of the Int'l
Conference on Linguistic Evidence might be what you're looking for (as
its published in the Studies in Generative Grammar series). In my
mind, at least Sam Featherston's study explicitly compares
corpus-based evidence with judgemental data (of which experimental
judgment data would appear to be his method of choice), and my
understanding is that he identifies with generativism. Some of the
other studies in the same volume may also fit your requirements.

Kepser, Stephan and Marga Reis (Editors). 2005. Linguistic Evidence.
Empirical, Theoretical and Computational Perspectives. Studies in
Generative Grammar 85. Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin/New York,
Germany/United States.

Featherston, Sam. 2005. The Decathlon Model. In Kepser and Reis 2005,
pp. 187-208.

I Hope this is of some assistance, -Antti

***************************
***************************

Heike Zinsmeister

Hello Marco,

a late reply to your request. I'm also interested in this kind of research
and recently collected a list of references. Actually, not all of the
papers
deal with generative grammar in the strict sense, but I hope it is helpful
to you nevertheless.

Are you going to post a summary?

Best,
Heike