[Corpora-List] Sorry, my mistake, I need a Context-DEPENDENT grammar simulator

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Apr 10 11:14:23 UTC 2008

Stefano,

You are asking for somebody to hand you the Holy Grail:

 > What I need is a context-DEPENDENT grammar simulator.

Chomsky's original definition of context sensitive grammar
rules was very general, but not very practical for dealing
with the kinds of context dependencies in natural languages
(or even the much, much simpler programming languages).

The number of different kinds of context dependencies in NLs
is enormous, and many different branches of linguistics (both
theoretical and computational) have evolved to deal with
various aspects in an open-ended variety of complex ways.

At one extreme, any background knowledge that people have in
their heads (or computers have in their knowledge bases) may
be necessary for disambiguating a sentence in context.

At the other extreme, a table of names, references, symbols, etc.,
is a highly efficient mechanism for keeping track of anaphoric
references in NLs and symbol declarations in programming languages.

A complete list of all the kinds of context dependencies and how to
describe, formalize, and implement them would touch on essentially
every aspect of linguistics, logic, and knowledge representation.

In between, there are interconnections of the many different
levels, such as semantic variations that may cause a puff of
white noise to be interpreted as different phonemes, depending
on what the listener was expecting.

I think that everybody who subscribes to this list would like
to see a simulator of all that.  If anyone has such, please
let us know.

John Sowa