[Corpora-List] corpus of essays in English

Ute Römer uroemer at umich.edu
Fri Apr 11 17:22:15 UTC 2008

Dear Katya,

The Michigan Corpus of Upper-level Student Papers (MICUSP) may be what
you're looking for (thankyou, Chris, for mentioning it!). MICUSP (still
under development at the University of Michigan English Language Institute)
is a collection of A(and A-)-graded writing samples (target size 1.6 million
words) by final-year undergraduate and first to final year graduate students
in select departments at the university (18 disciplines altogether; see
www.micusp.org).

As I said, we are still in the process of compiling the corpus (hoping to
finish data collection by the end of 2008) and will probably only be able to
release it in about a year or so. Our plan is to make MICUSP freely
accessible to the corpus research and EAP teaching community, just like
MICASE, the Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English
(http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micase/).

Please get in touch if you have any further questions about MICUSP.

All the best,
Ute

Dr. Ute Römer
Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
English Language Institute
University of Michigan
Email: uroemer at umich.edu
Phone: +1 734 763 7133