[Corpora-List] electronic dictionaries

Michael Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Apr 14 14:31:45 UTC 2008

Laura wrote:
> Links to probably thousands of free online dictionaries of various
> languages
> can be found at www.yourdictionary.com.

I have some links to similar listings of dictionaries at
http://www.netvouz.com/mcswell/folder/7773878411777326817/Languages+General+Resources+Dictionaries

The last time I looked, there was no "one stop shopping", i.e. some of
these other sites had links that yourdictionary.com didn't have.

On the other hand, I can say from personal experience that dictionaries
are among the more ephemeral on-line resources; my guess is that some of
them are in violation of copyright restrictions, and get shut down.  Also,
downloading a dictionary in some useful (non-HTML) format can be a real
challenge from some of the sites.  Reasons can range from the
understandable desire of the website owners to protect their information,
to sloppy HTML programming.

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD