[Corpora-List] Processing Latin texts

Joakim Nivre nivre at msi.vxu.se
Tue Apr 15 16:26:38 UTC 2008

Hi Thierry,

We have trained and evaluated MaltParser (an open-source data-driven
dependency parser available from http://w3.msi.vxu.se/jha/maltparser/) on
the Latin Dependency Treebank described by Bamman and Crane in their paper
at the 2006 Workshop on Treebanks and Linguistic Theories
(http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/tlt2006/pdf/110.pdf). However, the results so far
are not very impressive because of the limited amount of training data and
the high amount of non-projective structures (especially in poetry).
Moreover, we did not use a part-of-speech tagger for preprocessing but
simply used the manual part-of-speech annotation in the treebank as input.

I know that Michael Covington did work on dependency parsing for Latin
some ten or fifteen years ago, but I don't know on what scale or whether
any tools or resources are still available.

I would be interested to hear about other tools and resources for Latin if
you post a summary to the list.

Best,
Joakim Nivre

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Thierry Poibeau wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am interested in processing Latin texts. I would like to know if
> anyone has ever heard of any available tool for this purpose
> (Part-of-Speech tagger, chunker, parser, etc.).
>
> Thanks,
> Thierry Poibeau

Joakim Nivre

Växjö University		Uppsala University
School of Mathematics		Department of Linguistics
and Systems Engineering		and Philology
SE-35195 Växjö			Box 635, SE-75126 Uppsala

Tel: +46 470 708992		Tel: +46 18 4717009
Fax: +46 470 84004		Fax: +46 18 4711094
E-mail: nivre at msi.vxu.se	E-mail: joakim.nivre at lingfil.uu.se