[Corpora-List] Call for participation in Morpho Challenge 2008

Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi Mikko.Kurimo at tkk.fi
Thu Apr 17 11:51:59 UTC 2008

http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2008/

Unsupervised Morpheme Analysis -- Morpho Challenge 2008

Part of the EU Network of Excellence PASCAL Challenge Program and
organized in collaboration with CLEF. Participation is open to all.

The objective of the Challenge is to design a statistical machine
learning algorithm that discovers which morphemes (smallest
individually meaningful units of language) words consist of. Ideally,
these are basic vocabulary units suitable for different tasks, such as
text understanding, machine translation, information retrieval, and
statistical language modeling.

The scientific goals are:
     * To learn of the phenomena underlying word construction in
natural languages
     * To discover approaches suitable for a wide range of languages
     * To advance machine learning methodology

Morpho Challenge 2008 is a follow-up to our previous Morpho Challenge
2005 (Unsupervised Segmentation of Words into Morphemes) and Morpho
Challenge 2007 (Unsupervised Morpheme Analysis). The task of Morpho
Challenge 2008 is similar to the Morpho Challenge 2007, where the aim
is to find the morpheme analysis of the word forms in the data. For
this challenge, Arabic is added as one of the evaluated languages. For
the IR task, there is also a new possibility to provide the morpheme
analysis of the words in their context.

Participation in the previous challenges is by no means a prerequisite
for participation in Morpho Challenge 2008. Everyone is welcome and we
hope to attract many participating teams. The results will be
presented in a workshop.

Please read the rules and see the schedule. The datasets are available
for download.

We are looking forward to an interesting competition!

     Mikko Kurimo, Ville Turunen and Matti Varjokallio
     Adaptive Informatics Research Centre, Helsinki University of Technology
     The organizers

http://www.cis.hut.fi/morphochallenge2008/