[Corpora-List] Criteria for an ESP Vocabulary List

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:00:46 UTC 2008

dear Mahmud and list,

I agree with Adam here that vocabulary lists (aka word-lists) are probably
not the best place to start from, whether for ESP or for ESL in general. The
main reason for this is that, as we all know, the most frequent words are
also the most polysemous and occur in the widest variety of structures.
Certainly, collocations listings would be a more profitable place to start,
as collocates limit the extent of the polysemes' meanings and behaviour; and
generation of 3- 4- and 5-grams, skip-grams and concgrams would give a very
good indication of what phraseology to include in the ESP syllabus. You
could then extract vocabulary lists from those n-grams, focusing on the
forms (and hence the meanings) that are actually used in the sector you're
interested in.
This focus on meanings, rather than word forms, is discussed with reference
to the AWL here:
K. Hyland & P. Tse (2007) "Is there an academic vocabulary?", Tesol
Quarterly 41 (2) pp. 235-253

Food for thought.

best,
Gill

On 24/04/2008, Adam Turner <adam.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> With regards to ESP and ESL vocabulary learning, I am not sure that
> frequency is always the best guide for compiling such lists and may not be
> as useful to instructors as some researchers may think. As a classroom
> instructor, I find that corpora research for education divorced from the
> context and genre sometimes has limited uses. Unsuprisingly, I find that the
> most frequent words are the ones that students already know. I read a highly
> detailed article on a concordance analysis of engineering English with all
> kinds of frequency statistics but very little of interest to me as an
> instructor despite the amount of work it took to create the article. In
> other words, when we move from description to teaching, the value of corpora
> analysis may differ.
>
> More useful, however, are collocation lists or lexical chunks within a
> specific genre of writing and/or field of research. A word like method may
> appear frequently but almost all students know this word. They may not,
> however, be able to exploit all the collocations/frames/lexical chunks/fixed
> expressions where it might occur in an ESP context:
>
> Collocation: novel/proposed/innovative/alternative/ -method.
> Chunk/frame example with comparative:   In contrast to the conventional
> method A, our proposed method B improves accuracy/reliability by C .....
>
> In addition, I think it would be more valuable to have the students work
> on and select the vocabulary words that they don't know than to have the
> instructor prepare them for the students using electronic corpora or not.  I
> don't have the reference handy, but recent work has cast some doubt on the
> universality of even well know academic word lists when searching across
> disciplines. The example of words like "stress" being used very diferently
> in mechanical or civil engineering than in other fields is an oft cited
> example.
>
> I think it would depend on what kind of corpus you have and how specific
> your audience is. If it is not too specific, you could get a lot of use out
> of Google Scholar discipline specific searches to roughly gauge frequency,
> for example. If it is highly specific corpus then students could probably
> just select their own words from readings and give them to you.
>
> My students want to know not how frequent a word is but whether or not
> that particular word is the appropriate one for that particular sentence in
> the context of the paragraph they are writing in the context of the genre of
> writing they are doing.
>
> I am however very convinced of the benefits of combining genre analysis
> and concordancing, and of the value of examining how collocations and
> lexical chunks behave within a particular genre and register of a type of
> writing in a particular field. After teaching engineering writing classes, I
> do wonder however whether there is such a thing as say "mechanical"
> [...]

Dr. Gill Philip
CILTA
Università degli Studi di Bologna
Piazza San Giovanni in Monte, 4