[Corpora-List] Instances of coordination ambiguity in the BNC

Khan, I. H. i.h.khan at abdn.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 17:12:29 UTC 2008

The NPs of the form 'the Adjective Noun1 and Noun2' have two readings (coordination ambiguity):

1. [the Adjective [Noun1 and Noun2]];   i.e., Adjective has wide-scope
2. [the [Adjective Noun1] and Noun2];   i.e., Adjective has narrow-scope

I wonder how frequently this type of ambiguity really occur in the BNC (British National Corpus). Using Kilgarrif'fs Sketch Engine, I found ca. 12500 instances (examples) of this type. What kind of statistics can I make about this figure (12500)? Loosely speaking, I can say that there are too many instances of coordination ambiguity in the BNC, but that sounds a bit over-statement. Isn't it?

Any suggestions.

Regards

Imtiaz H. Khan
PhD Research Student