[Corpora-List] Criteria for an ESP Vocabulary List

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Tue Apr 29 09:06:22 UTC 2008

Michael,

You ask
> Can the WebBootCaT tool you mention be used independently of
SketchEngine ...
No, but the price is affordable.  BootCaT is available for free, so may well
suit people with the skills to run perl scripts.   WebBootCaT handles the
processes of cleaning up the data, removing duplicates, POS-tagging and
lemmatising (for quite a few lgs) and loading into the corpus tool, and
hosts the data, which, even for some people with perl skills, will be worth
a couple of cups of coffee a month.

Filtering texts where there is evidence that they are not written in good
English is current research.  I'm not sure if that fits what you mean by
unauthoritative sources.  There is usually a tradeoff between "getting
exactly what you want" and taking too narrow a view of the language type you
are seeking.

The other trouble with 'authoritative sources' is it implies checking them
one-by-one, with corpora correspondingly much smaller and slower to
produce.  So people are often stuck with a choice: get a corpus that is
large, quick, and on target but without knowing exactly what is in it OR
make do with one that is much smaller and/or doesn't really fit your
research agenda or teaching plan.

adam

Adam Kilgarriff http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd http://www.sketchengine.co.uk