[Corpora-List] Meaning (was: Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics with R'--re Louw's endorsement)

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Aug 17 18:56:17 UTC 2008

If I may, I'd like to return to something Wolfgang Teubert wrote
(realizing that not everyone on this list agrees with it):

> Language is symbolic. A sign is what has been negotiated between sign
> users. The meaning of a sign is not my (non-symbolic) experience of
> it. Meanings are not in the head, as Hilary Putnam never got tired of
> repeating. The meaning of a sign is the way in which the members of a
> discourse community are using it. It is what happens in the symbolic
> interactions between people, not in their minds.

The debate between whether meaning is in the head or "in the community"/
in usage (as exemplified by a corpus) strikes me as somewhat analogous
to what Douglas Hofstadter said in his book "Gödel, Escher, Bach: an
Eternal Golden Braid".  It's been twenty-odd years since I read that,
but I'll try to paraphrase.  He asked whether the meaning was _in_ a
particular "text" (used in a broad sense to including things like a DNA
sequence), or in the combination of the text and the reader (e.g. DNA,
RNA, the ribosomes and amino acids etc.)  His point, if I understood it,
was that meaning could not be encoded by a text alone, but only by the
combination of text and reader.

Coming back to linguistics, I would have thought that meaning was not
inherent in any corpus, nor in some community's use of language, but
could only be understood (bad term, but I can't think of another) with
reference to the individual minds of the people using that language--
including the situations where there's only one native speaker of a
language left, or there are no native speakers left and we're trying to
understand what Aristotle or Cicero said.

Of course, it's possible I misunderstand what Wolfgang (and Putnam) mean
when they say "Meanings are not in the head."  In which case, we'll have
to negotiate :-)
--
    Mike Maxwell
    "We signify something too narrow when we say: