[Corpora-List] Boot Camp (Continued...)

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:05:43 UTC 2008

2008/8/19 Wolfgang Teubert <w.teubert at bham.ac.uk>:

> I know that for many what I say here is no more than a crude and mistaken caricature of the status of mental concepts in various cognitive camps. Again I announce my willingness to be converted to the camp that can show me the 'true' mental representation of the word 'globalisation'. Could it ever be more than what has been said in the discourse about globalisation? Once it has been translated into a language of thought, does it not have to be translated for someone like me again into a natural language? Is this more than a triplication of the same content?

Oh boy. Perhaps I shouldn't, but let me try a naive perspective.
Surely, the 'true' mental representation of 'chair' and 'table' is
something more than what has been said in the discourse of
chairs and tables.  Equally surely, we all have access to this
broader mental representation.  By contrast, the 'true' mental
representation of "the catch", in the context of sculling, cannot
even be captured by words; it can only be experienced --
similarly, writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

"Globalization" is a straw man, almost -- for most, its a vague
concept, like "quantum gravity".  Perhaps, for a few elite economists,
politicians and businessmen, "globalization" evokes a gut feel,
an instinctual reaction, the way that "the catch" evokes in scullers.
For the rest of us, perhaps "globalization" is nothing more than
what has been said in discourse.

But perhaps again I've distracted from the main point of
this conversation.

--linas