[Corpora-List] Metrics for corpus "parseability"

Rayson, Paul rayson at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Sun Feb 3 14:40:45 UTC 2008

Hi Sean,

You could start with something straightforward such as evaluating
coverage against a lexicon across the various corpora. In LREC2004, we
looked at this when evaluating a semantic tagger over written, spoken,
domain-specific and historical corpora:

Piao, Scott S. L., Paul Rayson, Dawn Archer, Tony McEnery (2004).
Evaluating Lexical Resources for A Semantic Tagger. In proceedings of
4th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC
2004), May 2004, Lisbon, Portugal, Volume II, pp. 499-502.

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/publications/pram_lrec0
4.pdf

Related to misspellings (actually historical variants) and grammatical
variation across corpora (over time), we've recently compared the
accuracy of CLAWS on modern and historical corpora:

Rayson, P., Archer, D., Baron, A., Culpeper, J. and Smith, N. (2007).
Tagging the Bard: Evaluating the accuracy of a modern POS tagger on
Early Modern English corpora. In proceedings of Corpus Linguistics 2007,
July 27-30, University of Birmingham, UK.

http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/publications/CL2007/paper/192_Paper.pdf

Regards,

Paul.

Dr. Paul Rayson

Director of UCREL

Computing Department, Infolab21, South Drive, Lancaster University,
Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK.

Web: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/
<http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/paul/>

Tel: +44 1524 510357 Fax: +44 1524 510492